contact us today

516-561-6645 718-350-2802 schlissel.law@att.net

free consultation


FAQs Part I

  • Can a CPS worker refuse to tell me why they are investigating you?

    No! CPS workers are required when they first contact you to advise you of the allegations that are against you. The allegations should be specific. They should not be general allegations of child abuse or child neglect. Request they specifically advise you of the allegations, when and where they took place, how they took place, what happened and what was reported.

  • Should I bring my children to the CPS or ACS office for questioning?

    This would always be a mistake. If the CPS or ACS worker wants your children brought in, you should immediately contact an attorney to be advised of your rights. The attorney can request that he or she be present during the communications with your children. They have no right to force you to bring your children in without proper legal representation.

  • Can a CPS or ACS worker take my children without a court order?

    Generally not. However in certain emergency situations they may be able to take the children. However in those types of emergency situations they will usually have the police with them when they knock on your door as a back-up. Be advised CPS and ACS investigators will assume that every allegation of child abuse and/or child neglect creates an emergency.


Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Baldwin, Malverne, Freeport, Oceanside, Long Beach, Elmont, Lakeview, West Hempstead, Hempstead, Merrick, Bellmore